User Stats

Votes
Isabella Romano
Votes |
Furnished Finder vs AirBnb

Isabella Romano
Posted Jul 5 2022, 10:50

Hi,

I'm new to the community and trying to figure out the best site to list my rental property on. This property is in Albuquerque NM which is not a particularly popular vacation spot. We would like to do a furnished rental for 1-3month leases. The property is very close the the local hospital, medical school and university so it would be ideal for traveling hospital workers/nurses/students. I was wondering if anyone has used furnished finder? What are the benefits of this site compared to listing on airbnb or VRBO?

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jul 5 2022, 10:59

From what we see on this forum, FF is more suited to what you are doing which is closer to Medium Term Rentals. VRBO and AIR cater to the typical STR, which is weekends and maybe week long stays....

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Jul 5 2022, 10:59

Vrbo has been hands down better than anything else for me on a true vacation rental.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Carolyn Fuller
  • Cambridge, MA
Votes |
  • Cambridge, MA
Replied Jul 5 2022, 11:00

Depending upon how much you are charging for rent and the length of your leases, Furnished Finder should be significantly cheaper than Airbnb or VRBO for both you and your tenants. 

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Messinger
  • Property Manager
  • Poconos, PA
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Poconos, PA
Replied Jul 5 2022, 11:37

Hey @Isabella Romano

It sounds like given the situation of how close your property is to the hospitals/med school/university I would recommend using a furnished finder as your main marketing platform. But, I would also advise on still listing on Airbnb/VRBO with a minimum booking length of 1-month so you can focus on consumers looking to rent on a medium-term/long-term basis. 

Also, another recommendation I would have is listed across other rental platforms like Zillow, Apartments.com, or Turbotenant. These platforms usually target consumers looking to rent on a medium-term/long-term basis. 

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to reach out! 

All the best,

Josh

Keller Williams Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Carolyn Fuller
  • Cambridge, MA
Votes |
  • Cambridge, MA
Replied Jul 5 2022, 12:23
Quote from @Joshua Messinger:

Hey @Isabella Romano

It sounds like given the situation of how close your property is to the hospitals/med school/university I would recommend using a furnished finder as your main marketing platform. But, I would also advise on still listing on Airbnb/VRBO with a minimum booking length of 1-month so you can focus on consumers looking to rent on a medium-term/long-term basis. 

Also, another recommendation I would have is listed across other rental platforms like Zillow, Apartments.com, or Turbotenant. These platforms usually target consumers looking to rent on a medium-term/long-term basis. 

All the best,

Josh

If you list on VRBO and Airbnb, make sure your monthly rent covers the percentage that these platforms will charge you, including, in the case of VRBO, their bank fees.

This is probably not an issue for anyone who has minimum rental periods of 30 days or more but I've seen STRs in my city whose monthly rates for fully furnished apartments are less than the rates for unfurnished LTRs! I think the issue is that the STR platforms encourage hosts to offer hefty monthly discounts that are way too generous. I suspect that this becomes an issue in areas of the country where there is a serious LTR housing shortage but I've been hearing rumors that this LTR housing shortage is nation wide.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Street
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 5 2022, 12:46

We use furnished finder quite a bit for our mid term rentals. It sounds like you are in the right location as well to be renting out monthly. Furnished Finder is another way to generate leads for your unit where Airbnb doesn't take their 15% cut from the guest and it's 3% cut from you. That's most likely the primary benefit for you and the guest. You may charge reasonably on Airbnb, but those fees can be what's affecting occupancy to some extent (People will definitely still book through Airbnb and not care about fees as well). If you ever have a property that's an up down duplex or equivalent, it can be very smart to use furnished finder for the bottom unit, while airbnb'ing the top unit.

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied Jul 5 2022, 13:14

It's not an either/or. As long as you have software to integrate your bookings (so you don't get booked on multiple platforms for the same nights) you should list on as many as possible (take into account listing and admin fees, of course). The feedback I get from both guests and hosts about FF is that their messaging and notifications are terrible. Hosts miss messages from would be guests all the time and the guests don't always see the host's responses so there are a lot of costly, missed connections.

User Stats

Votes
Katie Miller
Pro Member
  • General Manager, Publishing at BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • General Manager, Publishing at BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO
ModeratorReplied Jul 5 2022, 13:34

I second everyone else's sentiment on here -- use furnished finder for everything longer than a weekend stay (typical mid-term rentals)! It doesn't hurt to also post it on VRBO or Airbnb to see if you get bites but you just have to be careful to prevent double bookings like @Bonnie Low mentioned. If it's only one property it'll probably be pretty easy to watch bookings without paying for a software; but if it's more than 1 property I would definitely suggest some sort of platform manager.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Willis
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Curtis, NE
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Curtis, NE
Replied Jul 5 2022, 15:12
Quote from @John Underwood:

Vrbo has been hands down better than anything else for me on a true vacation rental.

Hey @John Underwood why do you think that is, and is there some specific differentiator (type of guest, price paid, etc) you like?

Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jul 5 2022, 15:30
Quote from @Bob Willis:

Hey @John Underwood why do you think that is, and is there some specific differentiator (type of guest, price paid, etc) you like?

Thanks.

I think I can speak for John when I say that VRBO (generally) has a better quality of guests. They tend to be older, have more money and leave the places cleaner.

The difference in the 2 platforms is also distinct. AIR tends to be authoritarian and corporate (in the bad way :-) and their customer support is a joke (english speakers are non-existent)

VRBO can be a bit more expensive, but you can purchase the yearly plan and make up for that....

User Stats

Votes
Bob Willis
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Curtis, NE
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Curtis, NE
Replied Jul 5 2022, 15:32
Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
Quote from @Bob Willis:

Thanks.

I think I can speak for John when I say that VRBO (generally) has a better quality of guests. They tend to be older, have more money and leave the places cleaner.

The difference in the 2 platforms is also distinct. AIR tends to be authoritarian and corporate (in the bad way :-) and their customer support is a joke (english speakers are non-existent)

VRBO can be a bit more expensive, but you can purchase the yearly plan and make up for that....

So do you use VRBO exclusively over AIR, or use both?

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jul 5 2022, 15:34
Quote from @Bob Willis:
Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
Quote from @Bob Willis:

Thanks.

So do you use VRBO exclusively over AIR, or use both?

No I use both, they're at about 50/50 for my places and I can't afford to not use them.

User Stats

Votes
Jared Hottle
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cedar falls IA Waterloo, IA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Jul 6 2022, 06:21

We are on Furnished Finder, Airbnb and VRBO and link calendars so when someone books or signs a lease we can block off all the dates on all platforms. seems to work great. I may start on FF first for a week or so just to see if you get a medium term 

User Stats

Votes
Jason Regan
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Leominster Ma
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Leominster Ma
Replied Jul 6 2022, 08:30

Wow I never knew about Furnish finder, ill have to check it out.  Right now I am split between Airbnb and VRBO guests.  I am finding about equal quality of guests between both right now in Kissimmee and stay length averages about 4 days on both.  

User Stats

Votes
Conner Olsen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 6 2022, 10:44

I have a different experience than a lot of other people here. I listed on Furnished Finders, Airbnb, and VRBO and only had bookings through Airbnb. I just set it to 30 day minimums. I make more through Airbnb than I would through Furnished Finder.

User Stats

Votes
Carolyn Fuller
  • Cambridge, MA
Votes |
  • Cambridge, MA
Replied Jul 6 2022, 12:01
Quote from @Conner Olsen:

I have a different experience than a lot of other people here. I listed on Furnished Finders, Airbnb, and VRBO and only had bookings through Airbnb. I just set it to 30 day minimums. I make more through Airbnb than I would through Furnished Finder.

I think the experiences with Furnished Finder versus the STR platforms all depend upon location. Here in Cambridge, we are in the midst of a serious housing crisis. Our vacancy rates are less than 1%. That means LTR rents are through the roof. This impacts the MTR rents, as well. Traveling nurses compare Cambridge / Boston MTR rents to what they know from their respective homes and go into serious sticker shock and balk at everything. It would be easier for someone doing an MTR in cities like Boston/Cambridge to use the STR platforms instead of Furnished Finder.

If your MTR is in a University town, you can use Sabbatical Homes. Visiting scholars are a bit more use to the housing crisis in our cities and what it has done to rents. Sabbatical Homes is significantly less expensive to use than either Airbnb or VRBO. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 28 2022, 06:37
Quote from @Joshua Messinger:

Hey @Isabella Romano

All the best,

Josh

Hey Josh, currently listing my property for midterm rental on airbnb and vrbo but I want to expand to zillow, do you post you property with address on it? I like the idea of airbnb and vrbo since i can give them the area where the house is in and not actual address but haven't found a way to do so with zillow, apartments.com if any

User Stats

Votes
Patricia Taveras
  • New Bern, NC
Votes |
  • New Bern, NC
Replied Sep 4 2022, 04:27

@Jared Hottle

How do you link your calendars?

User Stats

Votes
Jared Hottle
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Sep 4 2022, 07:07

I believe you can do it on just on airbnb

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Johnston
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Sep 4 2022, 10:10

@Isabella Romano  Might as well list on all platforms - Air BnB, VRBO, and Furnished Finder.  Would consider pricing it a little higher on Air BnB and Vrbo due to fees, etc.  We use a channel management software that allows us to list on all platforms including our direct booking site.  Consolidates our calendars so I don't necessarily care which platform the booking comes from.  Key is to maximize exposure to your listing. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Emery
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Replied Oct 17 2022, 16:38
Quote from @Andrew Street:

We use furnished finder quite a bit for our mid term rentals. It sounds like you are in the right location as well to be renting out monthly. Furnished Finder is another way to generate leads for your unit where Airbnb doesn't take their 15% cut from the guest and it's 3% cut from you. That's most likely the primary benefit for you and the guest. You may charge reasonably on Airbnb, but those fees can be what's affecting occupancy to some extent (People will definitely still book through Airbnb and not care about fees as well). If you ever have a property that's an up down duplex or equivalent, it can be very smart to use furnished finder for the bottom unit, while airbnb'ing the top unit.

Hey Andrew! Were you able to find a channel manager that could sync with Furnished Finder? I'm stuck looking for one right now. Thanks for any recommendations!

User Stats

Votes
Jared Hottle
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Oct 17 2022, 16:45

I have had success with VRBO, FF, and Airbnb. Why not post on all platforms just make sure to make it unavailable on FF when it is booked on Airbnb or VRBO

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Street
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Oct 17 2022, 18:07
Quote from @Michael Emery:
Quote from @Andrew Street:

Hey Andrew! Were you able to find a channel manager that could sync with Furnished Finder? I'm stuck looking for one right now. Thanks for any recommendations!

I haven't found anything that integrates with FF yet. FF is still working through some things as website because it's kind of clunky. It's name is bigger than the product offered, but it's just a matter of time before FF catches up.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Dec 20 2022, 15:00

So does Furnished Finder's calendar sync with ABNB and VRBO...?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 21 2022, 15:16
Quote from @Carolyn Fuller:
Quote from @Conner Olsen:

I think the experiences with Furnished Finder versus the STR platforms all depend upon location. Here in Cambridge, we are in the midst of a serious housing crisis. Our vacancy rates are less than 1%. That means LTR rents are through the roof. This impacts the MTR rents, as well. Traveling nurses compare Cambridge / Boston MTR rents to what they know from their respective homes and go into serious sticker shock and balk at everything. It would be easier for someone doing an MTR in cities like Boston/Cambridge to use the STR platforms instead of Furnished Finder.

If your MTR is in a University town, you can use Sabbatical Homes. Visiting scholars are a bit more use to the housing crisis in our cities and what it has done to rents. Sabbatical Homes is significantly less expensive to use than either Airbnb or VRBO. 

Do you have much experience/success with Sabbatical Homes? My rental is in a big university town (Columbus, OH) and that seems like a compelling medium for finding MTR leads.