Josh Wallin
Pro Member
  • Reno
Votes |
User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 23 2024, 08:24
Quote from @Josh Wallin:

Has anyone used Proper insurance? What’s your opinion?

I think they are grossly overpriced and offer coverages that most hosts don’t need.  But, they do offer good comprehensive coverage. 

User Stats

Votes
Collin H.
Pro Member
#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Gatlinburg, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Gatlinburg, TN
Replied Apr 23 2024, 08:26
Quote from @Josh Wallin:

Has anyone used Proper insurance? What’s your opinion?

Proper is a broker. Shop several brokers. STR insurance is a niche product with few actual insurers, so the brokers are all selling the same paper.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 23 2024, 08:34

Good customer service and coverage. Pricey. Easy to get someone on the phone, which is a big one for me and something I am willing to pay a reasonable premium for. They do draw a hard line with cloth wiring, even if it is in good condition and not knob n' tube. 

I have a policy with Foremost on my 2nd STR and it is a lot more work to get someone on the phone but they are OK with cloth wiring, which is the reason I have them. It is also took me a solid hour+ on a 3 way call with the lender to get the Escrow figured out, and I still got Cancellation nastygrams in the mail afterwards. Overall I'm not happy with the customer experience with them.

That said- once I have the 2nd property up and running I will probably speak to a broker to see if I can get the rates down. 

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Kensinger
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Replied Apr 23 2024, 09:03

One of the best STR insurance companies out there! You never know when something might happen at your STR and when it does, I can promise you'll be very happy to have a policy that covers it! I also love that your policy stays in house with Proper (so they're NOT a brokerage) and you don't have to deal with claims outside the company. I have yet to meet someone that wished they didn't use Proper. Instead, I've heard many that had a complete headache and lost so so much money, because insurance didn't cover whatever happened or they weren't covered at all!

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Apr 23 2024, 11:42

Proper is a rep for Lloyd's of London. Yes they are more than others, but they have the most comprehensive coverage for STRs.

I have to disagree with @Collin H. on actual insurers. Most insurance companies now offer some kind of STR coverage. Not all but I have spoken to a bunch and most have a product.

I have been working on something to post about STR coverage and what happens when you don't have the correct coverage, but it has been like pulling teeth to get info.

User Stats

Votes
Josh Wallin
Pro Member
  • Reno
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Reno
Replied Apr 23 2024, 12:15

I think I will try based on Sarah and Michael’s opinions. I’ll try to update my experience (if I remember). :)

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Steffens
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Apr 23 2024, 12:39

I have never chose them as I found similar coverage cheaper.  But I do recommend quoting them as well as any and all other brokerages!

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Apr 23 2024, 13:38

I agree that Proper is over priced.

I got a much better policy with Foremost.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 23 2024, 14:53

They just came back into Florida so got a quote from them for a second time (for a second property).  I find them overpriced for coverage you can get elsewhere.  I have US Coastal plus a great liability policy.  I went one for one down the coverages comparing US Coastal and Proper and I did much better with US Coastal.  I was tempted to drop the wind coverage with Proper but when you do so, you also lose out on loss of use due to hurricane.  That was a non-starter for me.  Haven't had to file any claims though so we will see (hoping I never do).  

User Stats

Votes
Lauren Kormylo
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Apr 24 2024, 15:25

I use Proper, but have not had to file a claim yet.  They are rather picky.  They told me if I were to supply bikes for guests, I'd have to supply helmets too.  They required a photo of my entire interior stairway to see if it had a handrail.  The second year, they all of a sudden at renewal sent a notice that I'd be required to have carbon monoxide detectors in each bedroom.  Because I live across the country, that would have cost me a lot to hire an electrician or handyman to buy and install them all. My townhouse is all-electric with no garage, no fireplace, and no bbq grill, so no source of carbon monoxide. I appealed it, and they backed down and waived that requirement.  They do have good service otherwise.  They have bed bug coverage, and offer loss of use coverage, which I don't know if all other companies have.    

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Jareckyj
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied Apr 25 2024, 06:52

I highly recommend travelers. They have competitive STR policies and are much more affordable than proper insurance

User Stats

Votes
Spencer Riche
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Manitoba, Canada
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Manitoba, Canada
Replied Apr 25 2024, 09:32

Overpriced and pain to deal with, especially with a large portfolio of properties. I previously used Proper but switched due to their high rates, lack of portfolio coverage, and demanding annual underwriting review processes.

I recommend Lux-Str.com, particularly for their blanket portfolio options, which are more cost-effective and feature a much smoother onboarding and annual review process.

User Stats

Votes
Yiwei Cheng
  • Investor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Apr 29 2024, 19:46

Expensive but you get a piece of mind that anything will basically be covered.