User Stats

Votes
Zachary Zinn
Votes |
Newbie from Virginia Beach

Zachary Zinn
Posted Feb 19 2019, 18:00

Hello everyone! 

I'm Zachary and I reside in Virginia Beach, VA. I am a certified home inspector which has me in and around a lot of real estate transactions. I get to see a lot of flips and work with those buying rental properties and I'm ready to join the club of real estate investors. My research into getting started lead me to Bigger Pockets which I've found a lot of great information and many helpful and knowledgeable members that I look forward to getting to know and interacting with.

For my investments currently my primary plan is to Flip homes but also work to add rental properties so I have both short and long term income. Obviously I know how to evaluate a homes current condition, and know what people expect to see in a flipped home. Pretty knowledgeable do doing remolding work as have done a lot in my parents and grand parents home and of course what I see while working. My biggest hurdles are on the deal and numbers side of things. Making sure I am able to run all the numbers correctly, being able to fund the project, finding good deals, legalities, and of course ever ones favorite taxes lol.

I'm excited to start my REI career, and I feel joining BP will be of great help. Also hope that my current skill set will helpful for some of you as well. Looking forward to networking with everyone, especially other Hampton Roads members. Maybe do some meet up so can meet, learn, and work with each other, or even just to get together and no non real estate things like trying restaurants, hiking, fishing, golf or whatever.

Cheers

User Stats

Votes
George Blower
  • Retirement Accounts Attorney
  • Southfield, MI
Votes |
  • Retirement Accounts Attorney
  • Southfield, MI
Replied Feb 19 2019, 18:03

@Zachary Zinn

Welcome to BP.

User Stats

Votes
Ned Carey
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
ModeratorReplied Feb 19 2019, 19:41

@Zachary Zinn welcome to BP. I am excited for you. Your inspector experience will give you a big head start.

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Dmitriy Fomichenko
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Replied Feb 19 2019, 22:59

@Zachary Zinn

Welcome to the BP family! Good to have you here!

Here are some recommendations for you:

Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search/users

Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

Check out BP Podcasts: https://www.biggerpockets.com/podcast

If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select the name of that person which should appear below the comments box. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

Wishing you the best! 

User Stats

Votes
Joshua S.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chesapeake, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Chesapeake, VA
Replied Feb 20 2019, 04:17

@Zachary Zinn 

Hey Zach! Welcome to BP! Nice to have more people from the Hampton Roads area on here. I'm an agent in the area that works with investors almost exclusively.  I've found the BiggerPockets calculators to be invaluable when running numbers. They really help put it all in perspective. But let me know if I can be of any assistance to you or if you have any questions. I'd be happy to help!

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Zinn
Votes |
Replied Feb 20 2019, 05:18

@George Blower @Ned Carey Appreciate the warm welcome.

@Dmitriy Fomichenko Thanks for the welcome and all the helpful links.

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Zinn
Votes |
Replied Feb 20 2019, 05:23

@Joshua S. thank you! Certainly hoping to meet other local Hampton Roads members. You have experience doing Fix and Flips I take it?

User Stats

Votes
Joshua S.
Pro Member
  • Chesapeake, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Chesapeake, VA
Replied Feb 20 2019, 06:49

Sadly, I haven't done one myself yet. I'm still kind of starting out as well, as an investor. But I do work with investors that do flips. I'm hoping soon I'll be able to do one of my own, but my primary strategy is buy and hold. I was also a residential electrical contractor once upon a time with a little bit of HVAC and plumbing sprinkled in.

User Stats

Votes
Erica Osborn
  • Investor
  • Tucson, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tucson, AZ
Replied Feb 20 2019, 06:50

Hey Zach! Welcome to investing and welcome to Biggerpockets. You certainly have a skill set that many new investors lack. That will be very beneficial to you and provide you something to offer an investment partnership. Maybe partnering with someone who has some experience in the investing world and you bring your inspection experience. I look forward to seeing you around the local investing network!!! There are lots of great events in the local area, get your face out there. PS; investors need inspectors, too. It's a great marketing tool for your inspection business.

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Zinn
Votes |
Replied Feb 20 2019, 07:55

@Erica Osborn Thank you for the warm welcome. Do you have any recommended local groups or meet ups? I've joined a few on the Meet Up app but haven't been able to get out to a meeting yet. 

I work for a local multi inspector firm but been thinking about seeing if I can set up an Investor Inspection that is designed to focus on just the big items (roof, HVAC, electrical, ect.) and not included smaller issues like plaster cracks, missing caulk, or things of more trivial nature that I feel most investors aren't to worried about but might concern someone buying their first home. 

User Stats

Votes
Jack Butala
Pro Member
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Feb 20 2019, 12:45

Hi @Zachary Zinn and welcome to Bigger Pockets! Bigger Pockets is a great place to start for real estate investing. Bigger Pockets is the place to get deals done the right way! Congratulations, and I wish you nothing but success. 

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan New
  • Norfolk, VA
Votes |
  • Norfolk, VA
Replied Feb 20 2019, 17:38

Welcome to BP!  I just secured my second flip today while my first is still being rehabbed.  There are some amazing investors in the area with a wealth of knowledge and mentorship to provide.  Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Antoine C.
  • Property Manager
  • Lawton, OK
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Lawton, OK
Replied Feb 20 2019, 17:44

Welcome sir and I'm still learning also. 5 properties and there is definitely red in the ledger. Looking to see one paid off soon freeing up $600-$700 cashflow. Bye bye to my IRA. I'll make my own retirement. This site really helped my wife and I gain a mindset to become more involved in real estate. I hope you gain information and inspiration from this site as well. God bless you!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Zinn
Votes |
Replied Feb 20 2019, 17:46

@Jack Butala thank you! I'm excited for sure.

@Jonathan New oh wow nice! Hope both continue to go smoothly for you. I'm looking forward to meeting with many of the locals.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Sack
  • Clovis, NM
Votes |
  • Clovis, NM
Replied Feb 27 2019, 20:04

@Zachary ZinnWelcome to the BP community. I just closed my first deal yesterday in Portsmouth. I highly recommend signing up for Pro so you get unlimited access to the calculators. As long as you put good data in, you get good data out. If you are looking for a partner in a multifamily BRRRR, please do not hesitate to reach out to me as that is my current target.

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Zinn
Votes |
Replied Feb 28 2019, 16:19

@Kevin Sack congrats on your Portsmouth deal! I'm getting ready to go pro mostly so can get the calculators but also for all the webinars. 

User Stats

Votes
Melanie McDaniel
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 20 2019, 19:27

@Zachary Zinn See you April 2nd! You are my inspector for a duplex in Ocean View, coincidentally.

User Stats

Votes
Melanie McDaniel
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 20 2019, 19:30

@Zachary Zinn Come to Cashflow game night on March 25th or the meetup on April 1st and you’ll meet a bunch of folks in this thread : )

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Zinn
Votes |
Replied Mar 21 2019, 15:49

@Melanie McDaniel I'm hoping to make game night on the 25th. The meetup will just depend on work. Sadly never know when I will get off work so weeknights can be difficult. See you on the 2nd at the latest haha.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 14 2019, 09:47
Originally posted by @Melanie McDaniel:

@Zachary Zinn Come to Cashflow game night on March 25th or the meetup on April 1st and you’ll meet a bunch of folks in this thread : )

How do i find more about cash flow game night? Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Melanie McDaniel
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 14 2019, 10:29

@Lewis Myers The next one is May 20th. Check the events section!