Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Barbara Lynn
  • Wholesaler
  • Burlington NC
Votes |
Have you heard of Rhino?

Barbara Lynn
  • Wholesaler
  • Burlington NC
Posted

Hi everyone! For those of you with rentals, this may be of interest to you which I discovered on linkedin. I talk to landlords here where I live and find this interesting to be of benefit with landlords and tenants. I had trouble paying rent during covid crazy (slow income non RE related) and wonder if this could have helped at that time. There are 2 articles that caught my attention. 

This article today has an OPT IN which I did not do: 

Millennials & Gen Z want flexibility and affordability, more than a long-term commitment. Learn why they are flocking to single-family rentals.

This article was a year ago: 

Rhino is revolutionizing the single-family home marketplace for renters. Rent growth for single-family homes has grown by 5x since June 2020.

Have you heard of this company?

I am not affiliated with Rhino. This may help ME as a current renter which is why this caught my attention. 

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied Apr 23 2022, 06:29

Yeah I have heard about it. There was a post about Rhino on here a while back. Glad it is working out for you.

User Stats

Votes
Barbara Lynn
  • Wholesaler
  • Burlington NC
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Burlington NC
Replied Apr 23 2022, 15:48
Quote from @Bjorn Ahlblad:

Yeah I have heard about it. There was a post about Rhino on here a while back. Glad it is working out for you.

Thanks for your comment. I have not taken action as a renter yet. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Courtney Duong
  • Property Manager
  • Texas
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Texas
Replied Apr 23 2022, 16:28

I think @Nathan Gesner mentioned this before.  Wait for him to chime in.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied

I'm ignoring it because it sounds suspiciously like a marketing ploy.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Peter Tverdov
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New Brunswick, NJ
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New Brunswick, NJ
Replied Apr 23 2022, 18:00

We are currently researching a $0 security deposit option for tenants. They would pay us, the management company a small non-refundable annual fee that is basically a third of their traditional deposit. Rhino is basically like that.Then we would turn around a guarantee 1.5x the rent security deposit guarantee to our owner clients. I think it's the future and I'm 90% sure we are rolling it out this summer, just nailing down the specifics. 

User Stats

Votes
Adam Martin
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
Replied

I'm not sure this company is what you think it is.  This is basically you paying into a bond that will pay damage and lost rents if you are unable to the landlord but this isn't a collective of money pooled together for the common good.  You are basically paying a risk premium, if there are no issues the money you paid is gone.  If there are the landlord gets paid but Rhino is going to pursue payment from you and you will go to collections so they can try to recoup.

I don't like the whole idea and will not be using it.  One of my major screening criteria is you must have the deposit and first month's rent plus pet deposit within 48 hours of acceptance.  There are a lot of factors out there but savings is a lifestyle and some people are just incapable making sound financial decisions.  Some people are destined to be broke and if they make minimum wage or well into 6 figures their savings account will not contain a comma.  I don't show the house unless you say funds are ready but if you lied and we need to wait until payday this isn't happening.  You are one car breakdown or medical bill away from paying rent since you don't have an emergency savings.  

User Stats

Votes
Barbara Lynn
  • Wholesaler
  • Burlington NC
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Burlington NC
Replied Apr 24 2022, 04:56
Quote from @Peter Tverdov:

We are currently researching a $0 security deposit option for tenants. They would pay us, the management company a small non-refundable annual fee that is basically a third of their traditional deposit. Rhino is basically like that.Then we would turn around a guarantee 1.5x the rent security deposit guarantee to our owner clients. I think it's the future and I'm 90% sure we are rolling it out this summer, just nailing down the specifics. 

Thanks Peter for the breakdown. For me possibly becoming a landlord, this is appealing. 
As a current renter, I am going to look further into this model. 

User Stats

Votes
Barbara Lynn
  • Wholesaler
  • Burlington NC
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Burlington NC
Replied Apr 24 2022, 05:02
Quote from @Adam Martin:

I'm not sure this company is what you think it is.  This is basically you paying into a bond that will pay damage and lost rents if you are unable to the landlord but this isn't a collective of money pooled together for the common good.  You are basically paying a risk premium, if there are no issues the money you paid is gone.  If there are the landlord gets paid but Rhino is going to pursue payment from you and you will go to collections so they can try to recoup.

I don't like the whole idea and will not be using it.  One of my major screening criteria is you must have the deposit and first month's rent plus pet deposit within 48 hours of acceptance.  There are a lot of factors out there but savings is a lifestyle and some people are just incapable making sound financial decisions.  Some people are destined to be broke and if they make minimum wage or well into 6 figures their savings account will not contain a comma.  I don't show the house unless you say funds are ready but if you lied and we need to wait until payday this isn't happening.  You are one car breakdown or medical bill away from paying rent since you don't have an emergency savings.  

Thanks Adam. Yes this is true about living paycheck to paycheck for renters. I can relate to this type of living. Interesting feedback and I am very curious to read the pros and cons. 

User Stats

Votes
Barbara Lynn
  • Wholesaler
  • Burlington NC
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Burlington NC
Replied Apr 24 2022, 05:05
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

I'm ignoring it because it sounds suspiciously like a marketing ploy.

OK Nathan luv U! Have a great day! 

I have been a renter for decades and I am a bargain shopper (save money) and if this is something I can implement in my life, so be it. The verdict is out atm. 

User Stats

Votes
Joseph M'Mwirichia
  • Sarasota, FL
Votes |
  • Sarasota, FL
Replied Apr 24 2022, 05:15

@Peter Tverdov mind elaborating a little on the 1.5X guarantee on security deposit to your client, my.math isn't adding up. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Chris C.
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Apr 24 2022, 07:22

@Peter Tverdov

So basically an insurance policy that figured it's not going to pay out to everyone, so as long as the total income is less than the total payout you make money

User Stats

Votes
Ron Brady
  • Burlington County, NJ
Votes |
  • Burlington County, NJ
Replied

We’ve had tenants who have used Rhino with us. We found it is helpful to one of the our target groups of residents, first-time, working-class tenants. We’ve never had to seek a payout, so cannot speak to that.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Langham
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Carmel-By-The-Sea, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Carmel-By-The-Sea, CA
Replied Oct 7 2022, 09:11

@Peter Tverdov I hear about “Say Rhino” on the Remote Real Estate investor podcast today and found it interesting. Your post from last April was also very interesting since you mentioned your management company basically takes non-refundable payments. Just curious what would happen if the the tenant decides to stop making those payments and leaves the property damaged.

User Stats

Votes
Melanie Thomas
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Replied Oct 7 2022, 13:02

A few years back I looked into Rhino and Obligo. At the time decided to go with Obligo which is very similar. It did help us reduce the barrier or entry and the payout turnaround was quick. They DO charge the tenant fees and make money off payment arrangements made at the end of the lease term. Decided to keep those fees and brought a program in house. Hope this helps, good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Peter Tverdov
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New Brunswick, NJ
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New Brunswick, NJ
Replied Oct 12 2022, 19:33
Quote from @Jeff Langham:

@Peter Tverdov I hear about “Say Rhino” on the Remote Real Estate investor podcast today and found it interesting. Your post from last April was also very interesting since you mentioned your management company basically takes non-refundable payments. Just curious what would happen if the the tenant decides to stop making those payments and leaves the property damaged.

We do one annual payment a year to avoid that. Lease is not executed until we receive that. Tenant damage is part of the risk you take with something like this. 

User Stats

Votes
Jay T.
  • Property Manager
  • Grand Junction, CO
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Grand Junction, CO
Replied Aug 1 2023, 10:23

We use Rhino in our property management portfolio in Grand Junction, Colorado. We have probably placed about 30 renters with Rhino policies in the past year and a half or so and have processed several claims against Rhino policies. The only issue we have had getting the claims paid is when we filed against the renter's old policy and not their renewal policy, however our sister company in Denver (who initially turned us on to Rhino) have stopped using it after a couple of issues collecting.

We have tenants carry 2x the monthly rent in Rhino coverage in lieu of a traditional cash security deposit. Sometimes we approve someone who has disclosed an adverse credit/financial history or has no rental history and we will require 3x coverage. We have tenants add .5x for a pet deposit in lieu of a $500 pet deposit (2.5x or 3.5x respectively) however there are some new pet fee and pet deposit laws coming in Colorado January 1, 2024 and we aren't yet sure how these caps on pet deposits will impact our use of Rhino for this purpose (see below re: legal definition of "Security Deposit").

What questions do you have?

One of the questions that has recently come up for us is whether or not Rhino coverage meets the legal definition of a "Security Deposit" and whether the various security laws apply to these arrangements. Two groups of attorneys we use for evictions and similar matters are surprisingly unfamiliar with Rhino and I am not aware of any case law involving Rhino or other security deposit insurance. We still adhere to the state laws around deadlines to return security deposits and what we have to do to close out a deposit, but if it got messy it could get messy.

We have also been told by our sister company in Denver that this does not work with anyone receiveing a housing voucher/subsidy, which we have also been unable to confirm in our local market including directly with our local housing authority. Seems that we're operating in a gray area.

Hope this is helpful!

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied

Another issue is transferring property management.

If the new PMC doesn't have a Rhino account, it gets difficult.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Votes |
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Replied
Quote from @Barbara Lynn:

Hi everyone! For those of you with rentals, this may be of interest to you which I discovered 

Hi cuz.  Have you been using Rhino?  Like it?  Any issues?

User Stats

Votes
Jamie Petraglia
Professional Services
  • Chicago
Votes |
Professional Services
  • Chicago
Replied

Alternative deposit solutions only have a small adoption per building. You're still dealing mostly with cash deposits. The problem with insurance/surety bond model is the resident is paying a non-refundable fee each month (or one-time total) and they don't realize they still owe the damages at the end of the lease. The admin work for the landlord is still there and you don't get full claims like a traditional deposit.