• Investor
  • Cross Plains, TN
Votes |
Huntsville Zip Codes

Daniel Highsmith
  • Investor
  • Cross Plains, TN
Posted Mar 20 2018, 03:31

Can anyone help get me started on the Huntsville Market. I have one rental in Birmingham but wanted to expand my search to Huntsville. Looking for B class properties, SFR or Multi. Can anyone suggest some zip codes or areas to start searching? Or some areas to definitely avoid? Thanks for your help in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Platter
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Mar 20 2018, 05:53

Hi @Daniel Highsmith

one of my favorite websites is the ESRI.com Zipcode lookup. It provides data/stereotypes for different neighborhoods. It helps give you a feel for the neighborhood, as in the type of resident.

http://www.esri.com/data/tapestry/zip-lookup

Example: 35801

Exurbanites
33.0%
Approaching retirement, we're empty-nester, married couples, or have no kids. Our lifestyle is cultured and urbane; we support the arts and public radio/TV. We go online for everything.
Click for More Details
Emerald City
12.7%

Young, mobile, well-educated, and well-employed, we are more likely to rent in low-density, urban neighborhoods throughout the country. We go online for professional networking, online dating, and blogging. We buy natural, organic, or environmentally-friendly products.
Click for More Details

Set to Impress
7.9%

We are young, either still in college or working, and renting apartments in large multiunit buildings in the city or the suburbs. We still keep in close touch with family. We are very image conscious and often buy clothes impulsively to look good. We are really into music.
Click for More Details

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Highsmith
  • Investor
  • Cross Plains, TN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cross Plains, TN
Replied Mar 20 2018, 06:40

Nathan Platter that’s great info! I’ll check it out. Thanks!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Monika P.
  • Orinda, CA
Votes |
  • Orinda, CA
Replied Mar 23 2018, 18:18

@Nathan Platter great resource, thank you 

User Stats

Votes
Jamie Shah
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Ramon, CA
Votes |
  • San Ramon, CA
Replied Mar 12 2020, 23:30

@Daniel Highsmith I know this is an old post from a few years back, but trying to research the Huntsville market for opportunities in the MF space and wanted to see if you had been able to get some background on zip codes in Hunstville to invest in/avoid? Looking at B-/C+ neighborhoods. Thoughts would be appreciated. 

User Stats

Votes
Deborah McDonough
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Huntsville, AL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Huntsville, AL
Replied Mar 13 2020, 08:11

@Jamie Shah I’m a local investor and agent. I’d be happy to talk with you more about Huntsville and how it relates to the rental market.

User Stats

Votes
Gorden Lopes
Pro Member
  • Fremont, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Fremont, CA
Replied Mar 16 2020, 09:46

Hi @Jamie Shah!

I am OOS investor in Hunstville from Bay Area. HSV does not have a lot of MF deals right now. Most of the small MFs are concentrated in some areas. 

We have a bay area HSV investors google group that is very active. I would be happy to add you. PM me with your email id and I can add you to that group. 

Hope this helps.

User Stats

Votes
Jamie Shah
  • San Ramon, CA
Votes |
  • San Ramon, CA
Replied Mar 16 2020, 09:57

@Gorden Lopes that would be great. Sending you a DM shortly and would appreciate you adding me. Thanks! 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 13 2020, 19:09
Hello, I am a newbie  to RE investing living in Bay Area. sending  a connect request your way to include me in your grp, plz.

thank you

Originally posted by @Gorden Lopes:

Hi @Jamie Shah!

I am OOS investor in Hunstville from Bay Area. HSV does not have a lot of MF deals right now. Most of the small MFs are concentrated in some areas. 

We have a bay area HSV investors google group that is very active. I would be happy to add you. PM me with your email id and I can add you to that group. 

Hope this helps.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Hasegawa
  • Santa Clarita, CA
Votes |
  • Santa Clarita, CA
Replied Sep 28 2020, 21:03

@Deborah McDonough - I’m very interested in investing in Huntsville. Would you have some time for a call?

User Stats

Votes
Salil J.
  • Investor
  • San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Replied Jan 9 2021, 00:11

@Gorden Lopes

Salil, from Fremont, CA. Would love to be part of the bay area HSV investors google group. Please do add me if you can!

User Stats

Votes
Nitin Nagarkatte
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Feb 1 2021, 23:49

@Gorden Lopes yet another bay area resident looking into the Huntsville market. Would really appreciate if you could add me to the group as well.

User Stats

Votes
Laura Davidson
  • Huntsville AL
Votes |
  • Huntsville AL
Replied Feb 2 2021, 04:22

@Daniel Highsmith the market here is crazy there's nothing to buy.

User Stats

Votes
Shawn Costley
  • Investor
  • Huntsville, AL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Huntsville, AL
Replied Feb 6 2021, 13:37

There’s a Zoom call slated for 6 Feb at 1830 CST to do some brainstorming and info sharing on the Huntsville market in general. All are welcome   

Zoom link is: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/6797920878

Regards

Shawn

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 6 2021, 18:44

Can I be added to the Bay Area group??I live in bay but grew up in Decatur. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Lindsay Davis
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Birmingham, AL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Birmingham, AL
Replied May 27 2021, 14:04

We’ve got several properties in the Huntsville area, as far as zip codes go I would recommend taking a look at 35803, 35810 N, 35810 S, and 35816. I’d also suggest taking a look at Athens, Decatur, and Madison. We like these zip codes for several reasons- property appreciation, high renter populations, good employment numbers, and relatively low barriers to entry compared to high dollar markets.

User Stats

Votes
Peter McDonough
  • Huntsville, AL
Votes |
  • Huntsville, AL
Replied May 28 2021, 09:27

I would recommend ignoring @Lindsay Davisadvice and avoiding 35810, unless you like high risk low reward properties with lots of hassle.

User Stats

Votes
Michael S.
  • Huntsville, AL
Votes |
  • Huntsville, AL
Replied May 29 2021, 17:30

@Peter McDonough - 2 years ago, I would have completely agreed with you.  But there are now pockets of 35810 that have really changed, and are closer to B neighborhoods than C/D neighborhoods.  A lot of money has come into parts of 35810 (similar to Lowe Mill but to a lesser scale) in the last year or so, and house prices and rents have notably gone up in response. 

That said, 35810 is not a zip code for the OOS investor who doesn't either have a good team on the ground or has visited the property itself.  4 blocks in this zip can be the difference between a B and a D neighborhood.  

User Stats

Votes
Michael S.
  • Huntsville, AL
Votes |
  • Huntsville, AL
Replied May 29 2021, 17:43

@Lindsay Davis - I find 35803 and 35816 to be very different investment plays - sure, both can work (let's be honest - any zip in North Alabama seems to have potential right now).  But, for OOS investors, they are very different neighborhood classes.  

35803 is typically solid B neighborhoods, with some A neighborhoods as well.  Everything going for well over asking with multiple offers.

35816?  10% B neighborhoods, and the rest is C and D.  Still seeing properties in this zip code for sale at 50k to 100k routinely.  

User Stats

Votes
Mora Clark
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Boston, MA
Replied Jun 5 2021, 06:24

35801 is good for rental. I own a property  there and it has been cash flowing.

User Stats

Votes
Trevor Davidson
  • Huntsville, AL
Votes |
  • Huntsville, AL
Replied Jul 20 2021, 21:46

@Gorden Lopes

Hey Gordon,

I am also local in the Bay Area and invest in the Huntsville area! My wife and I just closed on our 3rd home in the area and would love to join the google group!

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk
Replied Jul 20 2021, 22:14
Originally posted by @Lindsay Davis:

We’ve got several properties in the Huntsville area, as far as zip codes go I would recommend taking a look at 35803, 35810 N, 35810 S, and 35816. I’d also suggest taking a look at Athens, Decatur, and Madison. We like these zip codes for several reasons- property appreciation, high renter populations, good employment numbers, and relatively low barriers to entry compared to high dollar markets.

How do you think Huntsville would do for AIrBNB/VRBO? Any particular zip codes?

User Stats

Votes
Peter McDonough
  • Huntsville, AL
Votes |
  • Huntsville, AL
Replied Jul 21 2021, 07:57

Airbnb in Huntsville isn't worth your time.  People don't come here for vacation, they come for 3-5 year army tours or to work on/around the Arsnenal on a government contract.

User Stats

Votes
Mora Clark
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Boston, MA
Replied Jul 21 2021, 08:37

Any ideas on new market for investment property?

User Stats

Votes
Peter McDonough
  • Huntsville, AL
Votes |
  • Huntsville, AL
Replied Jul 21 2021, 14:17

Don't waste your time there either.  People with the engineering jobs barely want to live in Huntsville, and definitely not out in the sticks.

User Stats

Votes
Dena Puliatti
  • Property Manager
  • Huntsville, AL
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Huntsville, AL
Replied Jul 23 2021, 08:26

@Mora Clark New Market is doing quite well for rentals.  I have an investor who bought one very recently, and it was rented in under a day.  I've got more coming in that area.  As far as living outside of the city limits, that's something that some potential tenants look for. I manage several in Harvest, Athens, Toney....outlying areas around Huntsville, and have great success with renting them, some even above market.